Various people globally want to jumpstart their day with high energy. Or few people became dizzy during the afternoon and to revive the energy boost. In both cases, they need caffeine that has filled with a full burst of energy and alertness. However, before heading into consuming caffeine, one must know the pros and cons of caffeine.
Are you among those millions of Americans who want to start your day or to freshly long into the tired evening by jolting-down caffeine through a cup of tea or caffeine? If your answer is yes, then you are not alone. Satisfying the caffeine crave through coffee and tea is the most prominent source used by most of the Americans. Regardless of your interest in coffee or tea, still, there is around 80 % of the world’s population who consume caffeine regularly. Moreover, in North America, there are about 90% of people who love to satisfy their daily caffeine intake. Furthermore, it has also observed that caffeine has been under research for quite a long time. This research leads to numerous questions and answers.
Typically, caffeine is the most used natural stimulant worldwide. You can either love it or hate it, but you can not deny the fact that this stimulus is the most favorite choice of millions of people. For these people, they love products made of caffeine such as coffee, tea, chocolate, etc. Regardless of the caffeine, people still enjoy the texture, flavor, and aroma of each caffeinated product.
Generally, caffeine is a natural-stimuli drug, and similar to other drugs, caffeine also affects differently from person to person. Most importantly, consumers understand the interaction of caffeine with their bodies based upon the health history of each person. Globally, food and beverage industries are spending millions or even billions of dollars on the research funding and promotion on making caffeine food and beverages safe and healthy. Fortunately, one of the broadest research natural substances is caffeine. However, from the research, there exists a few unbiased data, and gleaning the useful information from them is difficult. Hence, the published research on caffeine does allude much about the safety and, most importantly, the potential impact of using caffeine in a moderation level. However, there are still research studies that highlight the possible side effects of caffeine. One can find a handful of research on caffeine consumption. To know about the caffeine pros and cons before caffeine consumption helps everyone to manage the risks of suffering from any sort of harmful effects of caffeine. The awareness of how much caffeine should consume daily is essential as it will save you from high risk. Additionally, it is crucial to get enough education on a pre-existing medical condition that eventually helps you in sustaining the effects of caffeine.
If you want caffeine as a part of your daily intake, then you are not alone in this craving. According to the National Coffee Association, in 2006, around 68% of the Americans hooked on coffee to please their daily caffeine desires.
If a cup of coffee is not good enough for you and you want to try on something new, then there is a vast option of caffeinated products. These caffeinated products such as sodas, energy drinks like Red Bull and Monster, coffee-flavored yogurt or ice-cream, chocolate, or even iced tea can give a buzz start to your day.
Cocaine, a controversial drug, has contained the mega dosage of caffeine. This quantity is so high that it could risk your life. Apart from caffeine, there are some dietary supplements and medicines, primarily for weight loss include caffeine dose.
As asked by the caffeine fans, what’s the harm in using the caffeine. Also, as per research conducted recently proves the potential benefits of using caffeine. These benefits include memory booster, concentration improvement, and also lowers down the risk of liver cancer and Alzheimer’s.
On the other side of the image, many people have alarmed the increasingly overcaffeinated notion. They highlighted the research that depicts the harmful effects of caffeine. The experts have alarmed the abusive effects of caffeine on young people. These researches include high blood pressure, high level of blood sugar while decreasing bone density. Moreover, the impact of caffeine can jangle your nervous system.
Hence, the caffeine pros and cons is a debatable topic. But most importantly, the pros & cons of caffeine consumption can be varied. The effects of caffeine on an individual’s health are independent.
How Does Caffeine Work?
The high caffeine researcher James D. Lane, Ph.D., professor of medical psychology at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C, says that caffeine exaggerates the stress response. At the cellular level, the caffeine usually locks the receptor used by adenosine. Adenosine is a brain modulator that gives feedback to avoid the overstimulation of nerve cells. So, if the adenosine is locked up, then there is nothing that keeps the nervous system to stay excited at the cellular level.
Mostly, people joked about the high effect of caffeine on themselves how they hooked up on caffeine. Is caffeine hat addictive? What will be the pros & cons of caffeine addiction?
Before hitting into the caffeine pros and cons, let’s get started from the basics of caffeine such as:
- Where does caffeine be found?
- Is caffeine safe?
- The potential benefits of caffeine
- Things you must consider before getting into caffeine
- What it takes if you want to cut off from caffeine?
Where Does Caffeine Has Originated?
- Caffeine originates from the seeds, fruits, and leaves of different plants such as coffee beans, cocoa beans, kola nuts, and tea leaves.
- There is a large number of caffeinated products that contain different amounts of caffeine in them, such as coffee, chocolate products, tea, along with energy and soft drinks.
- Caffeine can also found in many over-the-counter medicines. These OTC medicines mostly include cold medicine and pain relievers.
Are Caffeine And Caffeinated Products Being Safe?
- If taken at a moderate level, then caffeine is not harmful. The recommended caffeinated dosage should lie between 300-400 mg per day.
- Caffeine has different adverse effects on people’s health differently. Furthermore, caffeine has not recommended for people who have high blood pressure issues, along with young adults, teens, and infants.
- It is advised by the doctors not to consume a large amount of caffeine if you are pregnant or a nursing mother.
The Potential Benefits Of Caffeine:
if caffeine consumes at a moderate level, then it can have potentially useful benefits: these benefits include:
- Caffeine improves alertness
- Enhance memory and improve mental function
- Decrease the high risk of cardiovascular diseases, liver diseases, and diabetes.
- Augmented the athletic performance
Things You Must Consider Before Getting Into Caffeine:
- One must be careful while consuming the caffeine that it will affect the kidneys. Also, increase urination that can lead to dehydration.
- The effects of caffeine can make you mild, physically dependent. As a result, when you withdraw caffeine, you can have headaches, irritability, depressed mood, or even fatigue for a short period.
- Few people are sensitive to caffeine. This sensitivity may cause them amplified nausea, anxiety, heart rate, vomiting, and disturbed sleeping patterns.
- According to some research, it has shown a direct link between coronary heart disease and caffeine. However, there are very few shreds of evidence for this research though it will be a good practice if you consult the doctor and consume the caffeine as per your health history.
- Regardless of healthy adults, it has observed that caffeine can cause a minor increase in blood pressure. Additionally, for people who have elevated blood pressure must consider their caffeine intake regularly. It is a good practice to talk to your doctor if you face any blood pressure issues. You should either limit or avoid the caffeinated beverages
What It Takes If You Want To Cut Off From Caffeine?
Most of the time, you find the people that require caffeine to keep ongoing throughout the day. So, if you consume a large amount of caffeine regularly, then quitting it could be a difficult task. During the initial stages of quitting, caffeine can cause headaches, tiredness, frustration, and even migraine. Hence, to save yourself from severe effects of quitting caffeine, it is recommended cutting the caffeine intake slowly. So, instead of sudden withdrawal, cutting-down slowly is always the best approach.
Keeping the caffeine pros and cons is always beneficial. These pros and cons can keep you aware of any severe troubles. Additionally, caffeine consumption can reduce the risk of health problems. These are the few pros and cons one should consider before adding caffeine as a part of your daily routine.
Pros And Cons Of Caffeine
- Caffeine will improve memory, reduce fatigue.
- According to the study, it will enhance your mental function
- Caffeine consumption will recover short-term memory by boosting the nervous system.
- Caffeine gives a boost to your reaction time
- Moderate consumption of coffee consists of three or four cups a day that will provide 300 to 400 mg of caffeine.
- Keeping coffee or any caffeinated product at a moderate level will provide numerous health benefits. It also reduces the risk of health issues.
- Drinking coffee will help you in preventing diseases such as type 2 diabetes, Parkinson’s, and liver disease, likewise liver cancer.
- Consuming caffeinated products can significantly reduce the risk of heart disease or even cancer.
- As caffeine slightly increases the blood pressure. Though, for blood pressure, patients consuming a large amount of caffeine is not a healthy choice.
- Drinking soft drinks on daily may lower the bone mineral density
- Caffeine may also increase the blood glucose level.
- Nowadays, caffeine abuse is an emerging problem. The market has filled with a large number of caffeinated products.
- Soda drinks have gotten larger in sizes. The caffeine in these so-called drinks has also increased. Additionally, caffeine has been widely present in weight loss and dietary supplements.
- The symptoms of caffeine may include tremors, insomnia, vomiting, palpitations, and chest pain.
- Hidden Caffeine content is a growing danger. The number of caffeinated products contains broad caffeine consistency that can affect the consumer. Make sure you read the ingredients to determine the caffeine amount while buying any caffeinated products
- The caffeine content in 12-ounce soft drinks varies, starting from 60 mg. However, labels can surely help you in understanding the amount of caffeine (mg) in detail. High-quality food and beverages have tags, explaining the caffeinated consistency along with different cautions and warnings.
- Make sure to ask from the buyer, if you don’t find any label, mentioning the caffeine amount in caffeinated products.
- Caffeinated products that have labeled as decaf must also contain few milligrams of caffeine. So, be careful not to trick with the name. Beware of the caffeinated products while adding them into the cart — generally, 10 cups of decaf roughly equal to two or three cups of regular coffee.
- For some people, they cannot drink any energy drink, and for others, they can consume coffee and can fall asleep. Caffeine can make it very sensitive to some people. Even consumed at a moderate level, it can cause skin sensitivity or also reaches to adverse effects of caffeine.
- Consult the doctor at the early stages, if you are experiencing any caffeine sensitivity
Try to gradually cut down the caffeine by reducing the amount of caffeine daily. The decrease in caffeine can help you in living a healthy life.
Caffeine Pills [Pros And Cons]
Many people are shifting to caffeine pills to fulfill their daily caffeine intake. Roughly 2 to 3 pills a day is enough to keep the bodies active and energetic. Learn more about caffeine pills here. However, before making caffeine pill as a part of your daily schedule here are the few caffeine pros and cons, you must consider:
- Typically, caffeine pills per serving cover 100 – 200 mg of caffeine. And as per recommendation, an average healthy person can consume up to 400 mg of caffeine daily without having any adverse side effects.
- People who are sensitive to caffeine it is essential for them to ask/consult the doctor first.
- The dosage of the caffeine pill solely depends upon the brand of the pills. Hence, each person should follow the instructions mentioned in the package and try not to exceed the recommended dosage.
- The timing of taking a caffeine pill should also consider as a significant parameter. Taking caffeine pills in the late afternoon or the evening might disturb your sleep pattern.
- Generally, for our bodies, it roughly takes 4 to 6 hours to metabolize half caffeine. So, for best results, take caffeine in the morning or during the early afternoon.
Benefits Of Taking Caffeine Pills Include:
- Quick energy booster
- Decrease constipation
- Sharper the memory and mental focus
- Improve athletic performance
- Reduce headaches
- Reduction in depression
- Ability to stay alert and awake
- Decrease the pain perception
- Caffeine is very beneficial if taken regularly at a moderate level. However, the side effects of caffeine can’t be ignored. If you overdo caffeine, you can have overstimulated or even irritation in your system. Here are the side effects of taking too much caffeine:
- Cause weakened bones
- High blood pressure
- Muscle tremors
- Acid reflux
- Gastric distress
- The decrease in calcium absorption
- Reduced fertility in women and men
- Pregnancy loss
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Are Caffeine Pills Harmful To You?
Caffeine pills are supplements that have extracted from caffeine. Although these pills are safe for many of the people to take, if taken high dosage, it can be very harmful.
2. What Are The Pros & Cons Of Caffeine For Students?
Pros and Cons of consuming caffeine for Students
- Pro: Energy booster.
- Con: Stopping caffeine causes withdrawal effects.
- Pro: caffeine is not addictive! Though different people take addiction differently
- Con: Interferes with sleeping patterns
- Pro: Provides long term health benefits
- Con: Not all caffeine is equal. Caffeinated products vary from the amount of caffeine consumed.
- Con: An extra cost adds up to your monthly budget
3. Do Caffeine Pills Help With Weight Loss?
As everyone knows, caffeine is beneficial in boosting up the metabolic rate that increases fat burning. Although this is a short term, it can help in reducing the weight.
4. Why Is Caffeine So Popular?
Generally, caffeine is one of the most popular and widely used psychoactive substances on earth. For people, coffee helps in elevating their moods, lower the fatigues, and also help them to work harder while keeping them busy in thinking clearly.
5. Is Coffee A Drug?
Typically, caffeine has categorized as a stimulant drug. This drug helps in speeding up the messages to travel between the body and the brain. Generally, caffeine can found in different seeds, fruits, and nuts, including Coffea Arabica. Moreover, coffee is a caffeinated product of caffeine.