Caffeine stimulant is safe for most healthy adults when consumed with a safe limit. Though, the caffeine side effects are unsafe if taken high dosage (>400mg/day) or by mouth for a longer time. In this article, we are going to explain all the negative effects of caffeine.
Caffeine has a natural stimulant to keep your mood active and nervous system alert for a longer time. Currently, caffeine is one of the most used drugs around the world. Moreover, this popular stimulant especially used by the American Society without putting much concern on caffeine addiction.
Caffeine has been present in so many common beverages and foods and most professional and workers use caffeinated products to keep themselves active. Also, you can find the chunks of caffeine in different ingredients of caffeinated products marketed to kids. However, one cannot neglect the fact that this is a drug and can have significant effects on the physical and body health.
With no surprise, caffeine is a stimulant drug. Though you will be more surprised in knowing that this is the same type of drug include in hard drugs like cocaine and meth. These stimulant drugs partially work through stimulating the sympathetic nervous system. This effect causes the same physical response as fight or flight, speeding up the heartbeat, breathing and increase more muscle tension while making the body more alert. Hence, with moderation or if you consumed more caffeine than required, the side effects of caffeine can range from short to long term unpleasant significant effects.
Short-Term Caffeine Side Effects:
You can certainly have significant caffeine side effects. Hence, the negative effects of caffeine can be included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM 5), that contains:
The sense of uneasiness that goes along with anxiety and restlessness.
The difficulty of having enough sleep manifested due to multiple factors.
Urinated more fluid than the coffee you consumed
The annoying side effects of caffeine are muscle twitching. Involuntary muscle twitch can be caused by consuming a large amount of caffeine.
Tachycardia or Cardiac Arrhythmia:
Caffeine increases the irregularity and speed of your heartbeat that eventually cause serve heart diseases such as cardiac arrhythmia.
The difficulty in keeping your body calm. This is can cause physical fretfulness.
The difficulty of keeping your body relaxed and calm down easily.
Being excited is a good thing but taking caffeine can make you overlay excited in trivial events. This excitement can make you awkward in different social situations.
The caffeine consumption can turn your normal face into the blushing red flushed face that may look embarrassing.
Too much caffeine can directly provoke stomachache, heartburn, diarrhea, vomiting, gas, constipation, and nausea. Stomachache is the common negative effect of caffeine and vomiting is rare.
Rambling Flow of Thought and Speech:
The common side effect of this stimulant drug consumer causes rambling flow. This effect can cause trouble to listeners especially during the conversation in the work that can undermine your popularity.
Periods of Inexhaustibility:
Getting exhausted, restless and frustrated can eventually make you tired and low with energy. So caffeine can solve your problem. It makes you unexhausted, refill your energy and make your body more active. However, consuming more coffee can wear out your body without getting regular breaks to recover your body.
Related Article: What Is The Half-Life Of Caffeine?
Harmful Effects of Caffeine:
- Consuming coffee more than 4 cups can be linked to an early death. Having 8 oz of coffee cups daily have 21% of the increase in all-cause of mortality. However, people consuming excessive caffeine have poor fitness and do smoke.
- Those who already suffered from hypertension and don’t consume caffeine normally can have high blood pressure. So caffeine and blood pressure are dependent upon each other, the more you consume caffeine the more risk of hypertension and high blood pressure.
- According to the research conducted by Dr. Lucio, increasing coffee consumption can also increase the high risk of heart attack among young adults.
- One of the studies showed that the usage of caffeinated beverages can be linked to the increased attack of gout.
- According to one study, the consumption of taking 31-250 mg of caffeine per day can have a 1.5 fold increase in developing fibrocystic breast disease. Whereas, a 2.3 fold increase in cysts development can be found if consume 500mg of caffeine per day.
- Women who consumed caffeine can have up to 70% of high risk in developing incontinence.
- Indeed caffeine in a day can help you in relieving the headache but if consumed overdose then it can cause severe headaches that lead to migraines.
- Through recent research, it has been determined that caffeine usage can decrease the chances for women to become pregnant by 27%.
- From another research, it has been concluded that consuming 200 mg of caffeine through beverages during prior weeks to conception can risk the high chance of mischarging for both men and women.
- According to the American Diabetes Association, the caffeine is not a healthy option for the type 2 diabetic patients as caffeine impaired glucose metabolism in them.
- Caffeine overdose is a rare case but if done then it eventually leads you to the adverse symptoms that can include death and other medical conditions.
- Caffeine is bad for you if you are among those people who are overly sensitive to caffeine substances. Caffeine can cause severe allergic reactions such as itching, pain, and hives in the body. Even different people report the negative effects of caffeine after consuming a very small amount.
- One of the caffeine side effects is the forceful contraction of the heart. So, it is found that if you drink a caffeinated drink then the heart produced extra force to contract the heart. However, the results are still unclear and one cannot blame caffeine for this symptom. Also, it requires more research on determining the long-term health implications.
- The production of collagen into the skin can be caused by the consumption of caffeine. Although, this effect can only be caused if you do an overdose. Hence, you must be aware of taking an overdose of consuming caffeine.
- You can have more chances of ossification that can lead them to a greater risk of having a bone fracture. You can have more chances of ossification that can lead them to a greater risk of having a bone fracture. The caffeine interferes with ossification based upon dose, higher the dosage resulting in the high risk of bone damage.
- Caffeine can affect your sleep patterns. However, this natural stimulant cannot cause a person with prolonged sleep deprivation. Hence, assuming that caffeine will help people to have sleep deprived for continuous multiple days, in reality, it can only bring a false sense of security. As this sleep-deprived research has been tested by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
Related Post: How Does Caffeine Affect The Heart?
When caffeine become out of control?
If you are one of those categories that is experiencing any tell-tale sign of caffeine side effects mentioned above, then it’s the time you need to rethink, start to cut back and plan to manage the caffeine daily dosage to as minimum as possible till you feel better and normal. Otherwise, these negative effects of caffeine can lead you to the peak level of high risk.
Caffeine & Blood Pressure – Negative Effects of Caffeine
Typically, it has been observed that most people don’t have heart disease or strokes due to the consumption of caffeine. However, there is a significant study has been performed on caffeine and blood pressure. According to different research, it has shown that caffeine can cause blood pressure. This is due to the stimulant effect of caffeine on the human nervous system. The effect of caffeine on blood pressure can also be termed as “pressor effect”.
High raised in the blood pressure can increase the risk of heart attack, heart stroke. This is due to the damage of arteries over time while restricting the blood flow to your brain and heart. However, the effect of caffeine on blood pressure is temporary and also the impact of this natural stimulant is low on the people who are not used to consuming it regularly.
Even if you don’t have blood pressure issues, you can still feel the effects of caffeine as spikes in the blood pressure. Although these effects are short, temporary but dramatically increase your blood pressure. So, some researchers believe that this could happen due to the blockage of the hormones that can keep the arteries widened. However, other researchers believe that this can be due to the effect of adrenal glands to increase more adrenaline. Hence, this can increase your blood pressure.
According to the research caffeine intake during exercise can cause high blood pressure in healthy people. Additionally, the mild elevated blood pressure symptoms were also observed among people who take high caffeine. Therefore, if you are dealing with high blood pressure, it’s important to pay close attention to the dosage and the time you are taking caffeine.
Also, if you are facing high blood pressure then you must avoid caffeine, especially after hard physical labor, weightlifting, and exercise. Moreover, limiting your caffeine intake, consulting doctor, calculating your daily intake, noting down the early symptoms of caffeine on the body can work tremendously in managing your blood pressure.
Related Post: Drug Interactions With Caffeine
Is coffee bad for you?
The controversial statement is still booming in the air regarding the health effects of coffee on the human body.
You cannot deny the fact of how badly you crave the caffeine, your morning cup of Joe. Around 64% of the American drink must drink at least 1 cup of coffee in a day. Regardless of the warning and side effects of caffeine consumed through coffee, people continue to devote themselves to this coffee addiction. Fortunately, with the ongoing research, there are different positive effects of caffeine on the human body can be shown. So, despite any negative effects you heard about coffee there are still plenty of positive things about coffee. The high antioxidants in coffee can reduce the risk of numerous diseases.
The coffee is enriched with multiple nutrients naturally present in coffee beans. So, 8oz of a coffee cup contains?
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine): 2% of the DV
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): 11% of the DV
- Vitamin B3 (niacin): 2% of the DV
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): 6% of the DV
- Manganese: 3% of the DV
- Magnesium: 2% of the DV
- Folate: 1% of the DV
- Potassium: 3% of the DV
- Phosphorus: 1% of the DV
So, you can multiply it by the number of cups you the coffee you consume per day. Hence, you can have a large number of nutrients from your favorite beverage.
However, today we will focus on is coffee bad for you? We will look at the negative aspects of coffee.
- From recent research, doctors warned the patient to avoid drinking coffee as it can increase heart disease and stroke. Additionally, can grow the stunts in the heart.
- Coffee addiction can increase the craving for caffeinated drinks. Hence, people can get the caffeine overdose due to coffee.
- Coffee addiction can lead to caffeine tolerance.
- Drinking too much coffee can damage your digestive tract. That sooner or later will affect the stomach ulcer, heartburn, vomiting, and gastrointestinal disturbance
- Coffee is not a recommended beverage for pregnant women.
- Coffee can have severe effects on disturbing your sleeping patterns
Another Post Caffeine Effects: Caffeine and Anxiety: The Struggle is Real
Negative Effects of Caffeine [FAQs]:
1. How should one Use Caffeine?
One must use caffeine as per the direction provided by the doctor or your health care provider. Always try to take caffeine under the safe limit to avoid any sort of extreme resections.
2. What are the common caffeine side effects?
There are some caffeine positive and negative effects. Lets talk about some common caffeine side effects:
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
- Muscular tissue
- Heartbeat irregularity
- Nervousness or anxiety
3. How you can properly store Caffeine?
Keep your caffeinated products at room temperature between 15 to 30 degrees Celsius (59 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Tightly closed containers/jars
- Away from heat, light, and moisture
- Do not keep it in the bathroom
- Keep it away from the reach of pets and children.
4. When you should not use caffeine?
Do not use caffeine if:
- You are allergic to any caffeine ingredient or caffeinated product
- You use it as a substitute for your sleep
- Children are less than 12 as over-the-counter (OTC) formation of caffeine is not safe and recommended for this age group.
5. How to maximize the beneficial health effects of coffee?
These are the few things you need to keep in mind to maximize the health benefits of your daily coffee intake:
- Try not to add extra sugar in your coffee
- Brew your coffee with a paper filter
- Make sure you enjoy your drink without an excessive amount of coffee.
Read More About Caffeine: Caffeine Headache Treatment and Withdrawal